January 28th 2018
At the end of 2017, I resolved to get a website up and running to help me get word out about my research, but also to share ideas about those I care about and spend lots of my time thinking about.
Now one year into my PhD research, I finally, I got to the point this month while editing my latest chapter of my thesis that I decided I put this off long enough. Here is my first blog post, and here I hope to share some of the issues I hope to write about and share with you here:
- My research on the C.19th Royal Marines - I cover this mainly from 1815 up to the First World War.
- Life as a PhD student - So exciting!
- The history of the Royal Marines - the claim a lineage that goes back to 1664, so there is a lot to talk about!
- Other history related posts, perhaps especially on maritime history and the American War of Independence - I have broad interests in history, but these are my favourite and ones that intersect neatly with my current research.
- The status of military veterans and veterans’ issues - I don't have a beard, I don't wear veteran T-shirts, but I have a lot on my mind as a veteran! (promise not to rant)
As I indicated, there may some “calls for help” along the way. As an historian in the making, I am constantly on the lookout for new sources and details that can help shed new light and answers on the things I am researching and writing about.
I definitely don’t have all the answers, and sometimes to hit a stumbling block along the way. I find that writing about it sometimes helps to work things out, and from time to time I meet people with great ideas and solutions.
I would especially enjoy hearing from you if one of these items is of particular interest to you and you have something you wish to share or get in touch about.
I hope you will enjoy reading some of my thoughts on these items and issues.
This first blog post will be followed up very soon, and I hope to be able to contribute a few items on a regular basis.
Thanks for your attention!